The Caterham School Swimming Academy was established in September 2016 with the ambition of creating a regional centre of excellence for swimming. It is open to young swimmers from across the community in addition to supporting the School’s swimmers.
By providing expert swimming tuition to pupils from aged 3 to 18, the Academy aims to create a clear pathway from a child’s first entry into the water to becoming an elite level swimmer.
This is achieved in two different ways;
(1) by offering Caterham Preparatory School and Caterham Senior School pupils first class swimming coaching in their timetabled lessons and extra-curricular sessions (which happen before school, at lunchtime and after school)
(2) by offering out of school swimming lessons to Caterham pupils and to children from the wider community.
All aspects of the Swimming Academy are led by Sean Perfect.
AUTUMN TERM 2021
Further information on Autumn Term dates will appear here very soon.
If you interested in enrolling your child in the swim school, please contact Academy Manager Sean Perfect at [email protected]
Swim School Lessons
During school term time, the Academy operate three swim schools that are held on Sunday mornings and on Monday and Thursdays from 4.00pm to 6.00pm.
Sunday Swim School
Our Sunday Swim School classes are aimed at learning and developing the basic movement skills of our swimmers with the main focus of having fun whilst being safe. We work with small class sizes typically 1:6. Having small classes means we can give each child the individual attention they need and can work to their specific ability levels. At the end of each term all children will be awarded either a progress badge or a new swim stage badge.
Our classes run for 30 minutes between the hours of 8.45am-11.45am. At any one time slot we run three ability classes:
Ducklings (Stages 1-4)– We encourage swimmers to to move more independently, learning the very basics of arm and leg movements.
Dolphins (Stages 1-3) – Swimmers will learn to swim independently using flotation aids and progress towards swimming unaided.
Sharks (Stages 3-5) – Now swimming unaided, swimmers will master the basic stroke patterns of all 4 strokes.
Weekday Swim School
Our weekday swim schools continue the development of our swimmers from our Sunday classes.
Children in our weekday Swim School are all apart of the Swim England Learn to Swim framework. Classes are held on Mondays and Thursdays 4-6pm. The Monday and Thursday Swim Schools are for swimmers that can swim for a minimum of five to ten metres unaided, both on their front and back.
4.00-4.30pm: Stage 2 Learn to Swim
4.30-5.00pm: Stages 3-4 Learn to Swim
5.00-5.45pm: Stages 5-10 Learn to Swim
During school holidays the Academy holds a range of different swimming courses for all ages and abilities, all of which can be found in our ‘Swimming Academy Booklet’. These include:
- Crash Courses – group and one to one swimming lessons are available for any age and ability.
- Swimming Camps for club & regional level swimmers – three to five day courses which involve two swimming sessions per day, land training and swimming analysis
- For further details on our Holiday Swim Courses, please click here
Sean Perfect: [email protected]