Orchestral Open Day
The 2021 Orchestral Open Day is to be confirmed
Caterham School Music Department opens its doors each year to pupils from all schools for an exciting day of music-making. This annual event usually takes place in May each year and sees young musicians coming together to create some fantastic music together. All participants will have the opportunity to work with our specialist instrumental staff and observe a masterclass.
Young musicians (Grades 2+ and years 3-9) are invited to participate in this fun day of performing either as an ensemble musician or additionally as a soloist- who will receive a masterclass on their instrument. All musicians will perform together in a closing concert at the end of the day.
Collaborative music-making events such as this offer the following benefits to young musicians:
- Experience playing in a larger ensemble
- Develop ensemble playing skills
- Work with ‘new faces’ and receive advice and support from expert musicians in their fields
- Opportunity to meet other young musicians in the area
- Receive and hear detailed and precise advice on technique in masterclass sessions
- Explore new repertoire and sight read in a relaxed environment
- Make use of skills achieved and rehearsed for instrumental music exams
- Make use of music theory skills
This part of the day is designed to allow selected children attending the day to receive detailed advice about performance and technique. If you would like your child to be considered for this please do indicate on the form. We will try to allow for a range of masterclasses to cover all orchestral families. If your child is not receiving a masterclass, they will observing those who are. This is very beneficial to all musicians and is an enjoyable part of the day. Please note that places for masterclasses will be limited.